Recognizing the Signs and Symptoms of Oral Cancer
At Perrott Dentistry in Boardman, OH, we prioritize your dental health and overall well-being. We understand the importance of oral cancer screenings as part of our routine dental exams, which is why we have trained our dentists to recognize the signs and symptoms of oral cancer. Our experienced Boardman, OH dentist, Dr. Robert Perrott can help with early detection and treatment. We’re proud to serve patients in Austin town, Boardman, Canfield, Poland and the surrounding areas.
What Is Oral Cancer?
Oral cancer is a type of cancer that can develop in any part of the mouth or throat. This includes the lips, gums, tongue, cheeks, and the roof or floor of the mouth. It’s a serious and potentially life-threatening condition if not diagnosed and treated in its early stages. It’s crucial to get regular oral cancer screenings from your Boardman dentist to help with early detection and treatment.
Who Is at Risk of Developing Oral Cancer?
Oral cancer can affect anyone, but some factors can increase your risk of developing it. These include:
- Tobacco use
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- A history of oral cancer or other head and neck cancers
- Exposure to the human papillomavirus (HPV)
- Poor oral hygiene
- A weakened immune system
Symptoms of Oral Cancer
The symptoms of oral cancer may include:
- A sore or lump in the mouth that doesn’t heal
- Red or white patches on the gums, tongue, or lining of the mouth
- Persistent pain or discomfort in the mouth
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, or speaking
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Numbness or tingling in the mouth or lips
- Changes in the way your teeth fit together when you bite down.
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, it’s important to schedule a consultation with Dr. Perrott for an evaluation.
Benefits of Oral Cancer
The benefits of oral cancer screenings include:
- Improved Outcomes: When detected early, the chances of successful oral cancer treatment and long-term survival are much higher.
- Peace of Mind: Regular oral cancer screenings can help put your mind at ease and reduce your anxiety about your oral health.
- Improved Oral Health: Regular dental exams that include oral cancer screenings can help improve your overall oral health, as your Boardman dentist can identify and treat other dental issues.
Frequently Asked Questions
How common is oral cancer?
Oral cancer is relatively rare, accounting for only about three percent of all cancers in the United States. However, it is still a serious condition that requires prompt diagnosis and treatment. The risk of oral cancer increases with age and certain lifestyle factors, such as tobacco use and heavy alcohol consumption. Maintain good oral hygiene and to get regular oral cancer screenings to help with early detection and treatment.
What are the treatment options for oral cancer?
Treatment for oral cancer depends on the stage of the cancer and its location. Surgery to remove the cancerous tissue is usually the first step. Radiation therapy and chemotherapy may also be used, either alone or in combination with surgery. Your dentist and other healthcare providers will work together to develop a treatment plan that is tailored to your specific needs.
Can oral cancer be prevented?
While there is no guaranteed way to prevent oral cancer, there are steps you can take to reduce your risk, such as avoiding tobacco products and excessive alcohol consumption, maintaining good oral hygiene, and getting regular oral cancer screenings.
Schedule a Consultation With Dr. Perrott
Oral cancer screenings are an important aspect of maintaining good oral health and overall well-being. At Perrott Dentistry in Boardman, OH, regular oral cancer screenings as part of our routine dental exams help detect cancer at an early stage and increase the chances of successful treatment.
If you have any concerns about your oral health or would like to schedule an oral cancer screening, call our Boardman, OH, dental office at (330) 726-0090 or fill out an online form.