Effective Oral Cancer Treatment Options Available at Perrott Dentistry
Oral cancer is a serious health concern that affects millions of people worldwide. It is a type of cancer that can develop in any part of the mouth, including the lips, tongue, gums, and throat. Early detection and prompt treatment are crucial for successful treatment outcomes. At Perrott Dentistry, our Boardman, OH dentist, Dr. Robert Perrott offers a range of effective treatment options for oral cancer that are tailored to each patient’s needs.
List of Treatment Options
At Perrot Dentistry, we offer a range of effective treatment options for oral cancer, including:
- Surgery removes the cancerous tissue is the most common treatment for oral cancer. Depending on the location and size of the cancer, the surgeon may remove a small section of tissue or the entire affected area.
- Radiation Therapy uses high-energy radiation to kill cancer cells. It can be used alone or in combination with surgery or chemotherapy.
- Chemotherapy uses drugs to kill cancer cells. It can be used alone or in combination with surgery or radiation therapy.
Who Is a Candidate for Oral Cancer Treatment?
Several factors may affect the candidacy for oral cancer treatment, including:
- Stage of the cancer: The stage of the cancer refers to how advanced it is. Early-stage cancer may be easier to treat than advanced-stage cancer.
- Location of the cancer: The location of the cancer in the mouth can affect the type of treatment that is most appropriate.
- Overall health: A patient’s overall health and medical history may impact the candidacy for certain types of treatment.
- Age: Age can play a role in determining the most appropriate treatment options for a patient.
- Smoking and alcohol use: Heavy smoking and alcohol use are known risk factors for oral cancer and may impact the candidacy for certain treatments.
- Other medical conditions: Patients with other medical conditions, such as heart disease or diabetes, may need to be evaluated to determine the best treatment options.
- Personal preferences: A patient’s personal preferences may also be taken into consideration when deciding on the most appropriate treatment plan.
It’s important to discuss these factors with a healthcare professional to determine the best treatment options for each individual.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the success rate of oral cancer treatment?
The success rate of oral cancer treatment depends on various factors such as the stage and type of cancer, the patient’s overall health, and their response to treatment. Early detection and prompt treatment can significantly improve treatment outcomes. Work with a qualified healthcare professional to determine the best treatment plan for each individual case.
How often should I get screened for oral cancer?
It’s Recommended that adults undergo oral cancer screening at least once a year during routine dental exams. However, individuals who have a higher risk of developing oral cancer may need to undergo more frequent screenings. Consult with your dentist or healthcare provider to determine the appropriate screening schedule based on your individual risk factors.
How can I reduce my risk of developing oral cancer?
To reduce your risk of developing oral cancer, there are several things you can do, including avoiding tobacco use, limiting alcohol consumption, maintaining a healthy diet, and practicing good oral hygiene. Smoking and using other tobacco products increase the risk of developing oral cancer, so quitting smoking and avoiding all forms of tobacco can significantly reduce the risk.Good oral hygiene practices such as brushing, flossing, and visiting the dentist for regular check-ups can also help detect and prevent oral cancer.
Schedule an Appointment With Dr. Perrott
Oral cancer is a serious health concern that requires prompt diagnosis and treatment. At Perrott Dentistry in Boardman, OH, we offer a range of effective treatment options for oral cancer that are tailored to each patient’s needs. If you have any concerns about oral cancer or would like to schedule a screening, please contact our Boardman, OH at (330) 726-0090 or fill out an online form office to schedule an appointment.