Fluoride Treatment for Stronger, Healthier Teeth!
Designed to strengthen your teeth and protect against decay, our fluoride treatments are a proactive approach to maintaining a healthy and vibrant smile. Our experienced Boardman, OH dentist, Dr. Robert Perrott at Perrott Dentistry is dedicated to providing personalized care to enhance your dental well-being.
If you’re ready to protect and maintain your smile, contact Perrott Dentistry by calling (330) 726-0090.
What Are Fluoride Treatments?
Fluoride treatments include applying fluoride to your teeth to strengthen the enamel, which is the hard outer layer of your teeth. Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral that can be found in water, food, and soil. It’s also added to toothpaste, mouthwash, and drinking water to help prevent tooth decay and better oral health.
Fortunately, professional fluoride treatments usually take just a few minutes to apply during your routine dental cleanings, and you can resume normal activities immediately afterward.
Benefits of Fluoride Treatments
There are several benefits to fluoride treatments, including:
- Prevents Tooth Decay: Fluoride treatments can help prevent tooth decay by strengthening the tooth enamel and making it more resistant to acid attacks from bacteria in the mouth.
- Reduces Sensitivity: A fluoride treatment can also reduce tooth sensitivity by strengthening the enamel and blocking exposed dentin tubules.
- Helps Remineralize Teeth: Fluoride treatments can also remineralize teeth that have been damaged by acid attacks, which can help reverse the early stages of tooth decay.
When Is Fluoride Treatment Necessary?
Our Boardman dentist usually recommends additional fluoride treatments for individuals who are at a higher risk of developing tooth decay, including:
- Children and teenagers: They’re more prone to dental cavities because their teeth are still developing and aren’t as strong as adult teeth.
- Individuals with dry mouth: Dry mouth can increase the risk of tooth decay because saliva helps neutralize the acid in the mouth.
- Individuals with a history of cavities: Individuals who have had cavities in the past are more likely to develop them in the future.
- Individuals with braces or other orthodontic appliances: Braces and other orthodontic appliances can make it more difficult to clean teeth properly, increasing the risk of tooth decay.
After your treatment, Dr. Perrott may recommend using fluoride toothpaste or increasing your fluoride intake depending on the condition of your dental health.
Fluoride Treatment Process
The fluoride treatment process is simple and painless. Before a professional fluoride treatment, Dr. Perrott will perform a dental cleaning to remove any plaque or tartar buildup. From there, he will apply a fluoride gel, foam, or varnish to your teeth using a brush, swab, or tray.
Dr. Perrott will recommend keeping the fluoride in your mouth for a few minutes to allow it to absorb into your teeth. After a few minutes have passed, you can rinse your mouth to remove any excess fluoride.
Caring for Your Teeth After a Fluoride Treatment
After your fluoride treatment, follow these tips to ensure the best results:
- Avoid eating or drinking anything for at least 30 minutes after.
- Don’t brush your teeth or rinse your mouth for at least four to six hours after the treatment.
- Avoid consuming foods or drinks that are high in sugar or acid.
- Brush your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss daily to remove any food particles or plaque that may have accumulated in between your teeth.
- Maintain a pristine dental hygiene routine each day
Frequently Asked Questions
Can fluoride treatment be done at home?
Professional fluoride treatments are usually done in a dental office. However, there are some over-the-counter products, such as fluoride mouthwash and fluoridated toothpaste, that can help strengthen tooth enamel.
How often should I get fluoride treatment?
Typically, you’ll receive a fluoride treatment at your routine dental appointments. However, the frequency depends on your individual needs and if you have risk factors for cavities or gum disease. Your dentist will recommend how often you should get fluoride treatments.
How long does a fluoride treatment last?
Professionally applied fluoride varnishes can help protect the teeth for several months. It’s often most effective when done every three to six months. Fluoride is excellent for fighting tooth decay and protecting against other oral health issues.
How much do fluoride treatments cost?
Fluoride treatments are relatively inexpensive, ranging between $20 to $50. However, they’re generally regarded as preventive dental treatments, so insurance may cover the costs. There are also topical fluoride products available.
Prevent Cavities With Flouride Treatments
Fluoride treatment is a simple and effective way to strengthen tooth enamel and prevent tooth decay. It’s safe for children and adults and can benefit those at a higher risk of developing tooth decay. If you’re interested in fluoride treatment, consult with your Boardman, OH dentist.
Contact Perrott Dentistry today to schedule an appointment by calling (330) 726-0090. We’re gladly welcoming new Ohio patients in Austintown, Boardman, Canfield, Poland and the surrounding areas.