Restore Your Smile and Confidence
At Perrott Dentistry, our Boardman, OH dentist, Dr. Robert Perrott understands that dentures play a vital role in restoring the functionality and aesthetics of a person’s smile when natural teeth are missing. Removable dentures, including both full and partial dentures, are popular options for individuals seeking affordable and non-invasive tooth replacement solutions.
What Are Removable Dentures?
Removable dentures are prosthetic devices designed to replace missing teeth and surrounding tissues. They are custom-made to fit the unique shape and structure of an individual’s mouth. These dentures consist of artificial teeth attached to a pink-colored acrylic base that resembles gum tissue. Removable dentures can be easily taken out and put back into the mouth as needed, providing flexibility and convenience for the wearer.
Partial dentures are used when some natural teeth remain in the mouth. They are designed to fill the gaps left by missing teeth, preventing neighboring teeth from shifting and restoring proper biting and chewing functions. Partial dentures typically consist of artificial teeth attached to a metal or acrylic framework that connects to the remaining natural teeth.
What Are the Benefits?
- Improved aesthetics: Removable dentures restore the appearance of a complete smile, boosting confidence and self-esteem.
- Enhanced functionality: Dentures allow individuals to chew food properly, improving digestion and overall oral health.
- Speech improvement: Missing teeth can cause speech difficulties, and dentures help in articulating words clearly.
- Affordable option: Removable dentures are relatively more affordable than other tooth replacement alternatives such as dental implants.
- Non-invasive procedure: The process of obtaining removable dentures is non-surgical and does not require any invasive procedures.
Who Is a Candidate for Removable Dentures?
Removable dentures are suitable for individuals who have lost most or all of their natural teeth. Candidates may include:
- People with extensive tooth decay or severe gum disease leading to tooth loss.
- Those who have experienced trauma or injury resulting in the loss of multiple teeth.
- Individuals with congenital conditions or genetic disorders that affect tooth development.
- Older adults who have lost teeth due to age-related factors.
A thorough examination by your Boardman dentist is necessary to determine the suitability of removable dentures for each individual case.
How Does the Procedure Work?
- Initial consultation: Your Boardman dentist will evaluate the patient’s oral health, take impressions of the mouth, and discuss the desired outcome.
- Customization: Using the impressions, dental technicians create a wax model of the denture, allowing the patient to preview the final result and make necessary adjustments.
- Denture fabrication: Once the wax model is approved, it is used as a guide to create the final denture. The artificial teeth are placed on an acrylic base, and the denture is shaped to fit the patient’s mouth.
- Fitting and adjustments: During the final appointment, Dr. Perrott ensures the denture fits comfortably and makes any necessary adjustments for optimal comfort and function.
- Oral hygiene and care instructions: Dr. Perrott provides instructions on cleaning and maintaining the denture, including regular dental check-ups.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long do removable dentures last?
The lifespan of removable dentures can vary depending on several factors, including the quality of the dentures, how well they are cared for, and the individual’s oral health. On average, removable dentures can last anywhere from 5 to 10 years. However, with proper care and maintenance, they may last even longer.
Can I eat normally with removable dentures?
Yes, you can eat normally with removable dentures, but there may be an adjustment period as you get used to wearing them. Initially, it’s recommended to start with soft foods and gradually introduce harder and chewier foods as you become more comfortable.
Can I sleep with my removable dentures on?
It is generally recommended to remove your removable dentures before sleeping. Giving your mouth and gums a rest by taking out your dentures at night can help promote oral health and prevent potential issues.
Are there any dietary restrictions with dentures?
There are generally no strict dietary restrictions with removable dentures, but it’s important to keep a few considerations in mind. To ensure your comfort and the longevity of your dentures, it is advisable to start with soft foods and gradually introduce harder and chewier foods as you become more comfortable.
Complete Your Smile at Perrott Dentistry!
Removable dentures provide an effective and affordable solution for individuals with missing teeth. Whether it’s a full set of dentures or a partial denture to replace a few missing teeth, these prosthetic devices offer numerous benefits and can greatly improve both oral functionality and aesthetics. If you’re considering removable dentures, consult with your Boardman dentist at Perrott Dentistry by calling (330) 726-0090 or by filling out our online form to determine the best treatment plan tailored to your specific needs and enjoy the benefits of a restored smile.