Restore Your Oral Health with Effective Gum Disease Treatment
Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, can lead to tooth loss and other serious health problems if left untreated. However, with the help of our Boardman, OH dentist, Dr. Robert Perrott, patients can maintain healthy teeth and gums through a range of treatments tailored to their needs. Whether you’re experiencing early-stage gingivitis or more advanced periodontitis, our skilled team at Perrott Dentistry can help restore your oral health and prevent further complications.
We’re proud to serve Ohio dental patients in Austintown, Boardman, Canfield, Poland, and the surrounding areas.
What Is Gum Disease?
Gum disease is a bacterial infection that affects the tissues surrounding the teeth, including the gums, ligaments, and bone. The early stage of gum disease is called gingivitis, which is characterized by red, swollen, and bleeding gums. If left untreated, gingivitis can progress to periodontitis, a more severe form of gum disease that can cause tooth loss and other health problems.
Benefits of Gum Disease Treatment
- Reduced risk of tooth loss: Gum disease is one of the leading causes of tooth loss in adults. Treating gum disease can prevent the progression of the disease and save your teeth.
- Improved oral health: Gum disease treatment can help improve your overall oral health. By reducing inflammation and removing harmful bacteria, you can prevent future dental problems.
- Fresher breath: Gum disease often causes bad breath. Treating the disease can help eliminate the odor-causing bacteria and improve your breath.
- Reduced risk of systemic health problems: Gum disease has been linked to a number of systemic health problems, including heart disease, diabetes, and stroke. Treating gum disease can help to reduce your risk of developing these conditions.
- Improved confidence: Gum disease can cause embarrassment and self-consciousness due to visible symptoms like bleeding gums and bad breath. Treating the disease can improve your confidence and self-esteem.
- Improved comfort: Gum disease can cause discomfort, pain, and sensitivity. Treating the disease can help to reduce these symptoms and improve your comfort.
- Long-term cost savings: Treating gum disease early can help to prevent more serious and expensive dental problems in the future. By investing in gum disease treatment now, you can save money in the long run.
How Does the Procedure Work?
The specific procedure used to treat gum disease depends on the severity of the condition. In general, gum disease treatment involves removing the bacteria and plaque buildup that causes the infection. This may involve scaling and root planing, which is a deep cleaning procedure that removes plaque and tartar from below the gumline. In more advanced cases, surgical procedures may be necessary to remove damaged tissue and promote healing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can gum disease be prevented?
Yes, gum disease can be prevented by practicing good oral hygiene habits. This includes brushing your teeth at least twice a day with fluoride toothpaste, flossing daily to remove plaque and food particles from between your teeth and gums, and using an antiseptic mouthwash to kill bacteria. Additionally, visiting your dentist regularly for checkups and professional cleanings can help prevent gum disease by removing any buildup of plaque or tartar missed by your at-home oral hygiene routine.
How long does it take to recover from gum disease treatment?
The recovery time from gum disease treatment varies depending on the severity of the condition and the specific treatment. In general, most patients can resume normal activities within a few days after treatment. However, it’s important to follow your dentist’s post-treatment instructions carefully.
Is gum disease treatment painful?
While some discomfort is normal after gum disease treatment, your dentist will use local anesthesia to ensure that you are comfortable throughout the procedure. After the procedure, over-the-counter pain relievers can help manage any discomfort or sensitivity.
Schedule a Consultation With Dr. Perrott Today!
Gum disease is a common oral health problem that can lead to serious complications if left untreated. By visiting Perrott Dentistry, you can receive effective gum disease treatments to help you maintain healthy teeth and gums. If you have any questions or concerns about gum disease or gum disease treatment, be sure to contact your Boardman, OH, dentist by giving us a call at (330) 726-0090 or by filling out our online form.